These potatoes are... dare I say.... better than french fries! Can't disagree til you try them, so get cooking!
Serves: probably 2-3 but I could easily eat them all myself...
12 pee wee potatoes (can also use fingerling or any very small potato)
2-3 tablespoons fat (I used bacon grease, but you can use any kind you prefer- olive oil, vegan butter, etc..)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC. Prepare a cookie sheet with baking paper or foil if your tray is not nonstick .
2. Place potatoes in a pot with cold water and bring to a boil. Gently boil until the potatoes are soft in the center (test with a fork after 20 minutes to check for doneness. They should be soft.).
3. Drain potatoes and return them to the pot with 1 tablespoon of fat, salt, and pepper to taste. Swirl potatoes around pot to coat.
4. Place potatoes on your prepared tray spaced about 1-2 inches apart.
5. Lightly grease the bottom of a smooth drinking glass (or spatula) and press down on the potatoes until they are smashed and about ½ inch / 1 cm in height.
6. Add remainder of fat to the pot and melt, then spoon evenly on top of each potato. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden with crisp edges.
Cool slightly and enjoy!