Sweet and lemony! These scones are sneakily vegan (i.e. you won't even notice) and super quick to make! The icing is also amazingly sweet yet zingy, definitely worth making.
2 cups (345g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (5g) baking powder
3 Tbsp (40g) sugar
zest from two lemons*
2 Tbsp (30g) lemon juice
⅔ cup (160ml) milk (I use soy milk)
¼ cup (70g) shortening (I use plant-based butter, but you can use any vegetable shortening)
pinch of salt (omit this if you use highly salted butter/shortening)
white chocolate chips
3 Tbsp (45g) lemon juice
1 cup (155g) icing sugar
zest from 1 lemon*
*NOTE: Zest the lemons before juicing!
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (160ºC fan forced) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add all scone ingredients except shortening to a large bowl. Pinch shortening into small pieces with your fingers and add in as well. Combine with a fork until mixture becomes shaggy. Then mix with your hands until it just comes together to form a lumpy dough. Don't over-mix!
3. Shape the dough together to form a disk and set on a cutting board.
4. Cut dough into 6 wedges (like a pizza) and place on parchment paper.
5. Bake for 25 minutes.
topping 1. Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Vigorously whisk together with the lemon juice until thick. Stir in most of the zest. Alternatively, you can use a small blender (like a bullet) to blend the sugar and lemon juice. Then stir in the zest.
2. Dip the top of the warm scones into the icing and allow a minute or two to harden. Then dip the tops once more in the icing and sprinkle with remaining lemon zest.