These stuffed mushrooms are super delicious and can be made vegan or not. The choice is yours! Simply substitute any of the vegan cheesy things I used for the real deal and there you go.
Enjoy, cutie pies!
3 Tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small leek, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup chopped fresh herbs of your choice (I used dill, parsley, and thyme)
1 bunch kale, stems removed and massaged/scrunched to soften it
½ cup unsweetened vegan milk (I used oat milk, but you can use almond, soy, etc..)
1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
1 cup (1 - 200g tub) vegan cream cheese
6 medium portobello mushrooms, with insides scooped out and stems chopped and reserved
¼ cup breadcrumbs of your choice (since we're in lockdown and I don't have any breadcrumbs, I simply toasted 2 tortillas in the preheated oven and pulsed them in the blender)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet or glass dish with foil. (alternatively you could use a cast iron pan.) Brush the mushrooms with oil and place in the dish with the cups facing up.
2. Melt butter in a lidded pot (uncovered) and lightly caramelize the onions. Add in the leek, garlic, and fresh herbs, and chopped stems, salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until softened.
3. Add kale and vegan milk and cover the pot to steam and cook the kale. Cook for a few minutes or until the kale is softened.
4. Stir in the vegan cheeses and continue to cook until creamy and thickened. At the end, stir in breadcrumbs and any extra salt and pepper
5. Mix in breadcrumbs and spoon evenly into mushroom caps.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they look so good you can't keep waiting to eat them.