This creamy bean dip is so good you may end up eating it all in one sitting.
It's creamy, cheesy, and tastes a bit like elevated cheesy refried beans... but even better!
It's easy to make (I made it with ingredients I had sitting in my cupboard) and goes so well with crackers as a snack.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon vegan butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained (equals 480g of beans once drained)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup vegan shredded cheese (I used Violife original, but you can use normal cheese here too. I'd suggest jack, cheddar, or mozzarella)
salt to taste
chilli flakes (or something spicy)
more cheese to put on top
1. Melt butter and oil together in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden and lightly caramelized. Add the garlic and a tablespoon of water and cook for an additional minute or two, stirring to prevent burning.
2. Add in the paprika, salt, and juice of half a lemon and stir to coat the onions for 30 seconds. Turn heat down to medium low and add kidney beans and cook covered for 5-10 minutes, or until the beans are softening.
3. Stir in the vegan cheese and cover again. Continue to cook on low for approximately 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. If the mixture starts to nearly burn on the bottom, stir in a tablespoon of water and immediately turn the temperature down.
4. Allow the mixture to cool until it reaches room temperature (I recommend putting it in a large bottom bowl or dish and placing in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to speed up the process).
5. Blend everything together until smooth and enjoy with crackers, bread, or as a spread on a sandwich!
6. Optional: Place blended dip into a baking dish and cover with cheese, then bake until cheese is melty and crisp around the edges.